We provide the facilities for people with disabilities and special needs to enjoy boating on the river on our specially adapted canal boats. You can hire our boats for a day trip, short break or longer holiday so that you are able to enjoy the relaxing tranquillity of cruising along the river.
Our boats have a range of facilities that make it possible for disabled people and people with mobility difficulties to access and enjoy them including ramps, lifts, and hoist points. Our focus is on ‘Ability, not disability‘.
As a charity we try to make our boats available to anyone who will benefit from their facilities and whose well-being will be enhanced through participating in a cruise along the waterways. Outlined below is a guide to who we serve as a charity.
You can hire our boats privately:
As a family, or a group of friends – if one or more people in your group has special needs or a disability*
You can hire our boats as a group or organisation:
If one or more people in your group has special needs or a disability*. Examples include
- A charity or social support group whose members have a disability, mobility difficulties or a special need (eg: MIND, Parkinsons, Residential Care Home, Hospice etc).
- A community group – such as residents groups, social club or organisation where disability* is not a requirement.
- Schools, Colleges and Youth Groups with group members who have special needs/disabilities.
- A group that provides care or respite for carers.
- Any other type of group or organisation with a member(s) who have special needs or a disability*
* We recognise that all people have a range of abilities and whilst we do not employ a fixed definition of disability, our services are prioritised towards individuals or groups that would be unable to access a canal boat, and the river, without the adapted facilities that our boats are equipped with, or who would find it difficult to get on board or move around a canal or narrow boat that has not been adapted. Groups that have previously hired our boats are diverse and range from senior citizens, arthritis sufferers, sight impairment, mobility difficulties to wheelchair users and the severely impaired. Please ask us if you are not sure.
Groups that have hired our boats include:
|1st Sawbridgeworth Scout Group||Mencap||St Clare Hospice|
|Gardens Nursing Home||Rotary||3rd Harlow Guides|
|Accuro||Age Concern||Alzheimers Society|
|Baldock Day Centre||Bishops Stortford Community Church Youth Group||Boshier Hinton Foundation|
|Caring for Harlow Carers||Church Army||East Herts Day Centre|
|Edith Borthwick School||Epping Stroke Club||Fyfield Over 50s keep fit club|
|Greenside School||Hastingwood WI||Hedgrows Nursing Home|
|Hertford Disability Support Group||U3A (various clubs)||Lea Valley Arthritics Care|
|Livability||London Centre Children Cerebral Palsey||Harlow Fields School|
|Ongar Handicapped Club||PACT||Relate|
|Rye Park Womens Club||SCOPE||St Elizabeth College|
|Stroke Action||Talking Hands||Tye Green Lodge Care Home|
|Uniting Friends||Upside Down Sports Club||Waltham Abbey Woodcraft|
|Young at Heart||Young Carers|
Out of season and at quiet times we also hire our boats out to youth organisations (eg: guides, scouts), schools, and colleges. This is an extension of our core services and serves to introduce young people to the joys of the river at an affordable rate, whilst also providing valuable additional revenue to the charity that assists us in carrying our our core activities. Contact us to enquire about these services